Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Review: Teen Daze - Beach Dreams & Cold House/Everywhere

Review
Teen Daze - Beach Dreams (2010)
Lo-fi / Synthpop / Chillwave

1. Let's Fall Asleep Together
2. Water
3. Cliff Jump Love Song
4. Beach Dreams

8.5/10

Not to be confused with Beach House's Teen Dreams. From the man himself:

I really came to fall in love with the whole lo-fi pop scene this summer, and I wanted to see what I could come up with. After writing “Let’s Fall Asleep Together”, the last three just sort of happened in the span of a few days.

I know that it’s starting to get cold, and that carefree love songs about beach life may seem out of context, but I hope that you guys can look back on your past summer, and let these songs remind you of some of the good experiences you had! 

For this final tribute to the hazy summer of '10, the Canadian/elusive/very friendly Teen Daze has set aside his traditionally electronic style for something decidedly more analog and guitar-based. I'm actually quite impressed that he was able to make the switch so easily. The catchiness of his dance-floor friendly tunes made Teen Daze one of my favorite new artists of the year, but these songs hold their own quite well despite falling closer to the very crowded style of noisy lo-fi pop. Oh wait, that reminds me...




-


Review
Teen Daze - Cold House/Everywhere (2010)
Lo-fi / Synthpop / Chillwave

1. Cold House
2. Everywhere

8/10

This was a single released a bit earlier, much more electronic than lo-fi. "Everywhere" is probably the catchiest, most uplifting song I've heard all year.



No comments: